RMB Building & Design, LLC
The partners of RMB Building & Design, have been in the building industry since 1973, and building in the Wilmington, North Carolina area since 1987. Since that time, we have built hundreds of custom homes for Landfall, Porters Neck, and Wrightsville Beach property owners. The staff is trained in all phases of drafting, design, and construction, enabling us to work with clients from conception to completion of their dream home. This combination of skills culminates in creative and quality custom homes.
Transforming a dream into the place you will call home is a process. We are committed to making that process as pleasant as the home is beautiful. We listen and respond to each homeowner’s desires and concerns. Always mindful of value, we guide you through the myriad of decisions involved in designing and building a new, custom home. Known for our genuine southern hospitality, we pride ourselves in consistently exceeding our clients’ expectations in service and performance.
The Benefits of Green Building
As a Certified Green Professional, we believe it is the duty of our society to meet the needs of today’s generation without compromising God’s planet at the expense of future generations. We can offer you suggestions to design and build your home in a more environmentally friendly way. We can also assist you in remodeling or renovating your existing home to make it more energy efficient. In addition, you can also realize direct cost-cutting benefits by owning a green home.
LATEST GREEN BUILDING NEWS: Our three most recent custom-built homes have received HERS Index ratings lower than 50. The Olde Point came in rated at 45, the lowest score ever given by our independent energy efficiency rating firm. We also received a Stars Award for Energy Efficiency for the Olde Point.
Green homes have relatively even temperatures throughout the home, with fewer drafts and better humidity control.
Lower Operating Costs and Utility Bills
Green homes are typically built with additional site planning to maximize benefits from sun and shade, as well as energy and water efficiency measures, both of which translate into lower utility bills and improved environmental quality.
Green guidelines pay extra attention to construction details that control moisture, choose materials that contain fewer chemicals, and design air exchange/filtration systems that can contribute to a healthier indoor environment.
Enhanced Durability and Less Maintenance
Green homes strive to increase the useful life of the individual components and the whole house. Longer-lasting materials not only require fewer resources for a replacement but also reduce maintenance and repair costs.
Green homes offer greater durability and energy efficiency, which increase both the initial appraised value of the home and, to an even greater extent, the resale value.
For many homeowners, there is an element of satisfaction that comes from “doing the right thing”.
Green building is good for the environment, good for people, and good for the future. Homeowners can feel good about doing their part to care for the world they live in.
We believe the key to our success has been our hands-on approach and attention to detail on every project.
Mack Braxton, Principal of RMB building & Design has been designing and building homes in the Wilmington area since 1987. He holds a N.C. Unlimited General Contractor’s License, and memberships in the American Institute of Building Design (AIBD) and National Association of Home Builders (NAHB). He has also earned his Certified Green Professional designation from the National Association of Home Builders.
Mack has over 40 years experience in the building industry, starting out his career as a draftsman when he was just 16 years old. His expertise and attention to detail are unparalleled. Mack is extremely active in all aspects of the design and construction process from the initial site acquisition to the final walk through.
Travis Braxton has an imperative role at RMB Building & Design, serving as Co-Owner. He facilitates the building process, oversees daily activities at job sites, and works directly with our clients and trade contractors to bring their custom home to reality. He also provides timely follow-thru on our homeowner’s warranties and remodeling projects. Travis graduated from East Carolina University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Construction Management. He holds a N.C. Unlimited General Contractor’s License and has earned his Certified Green Professional designation through the NAHB. He holds a NC Unlimited General Contractor’s License and has earned his Certified Green Professional designation through the NAHB and currently sits on the Local HBA Board of Directors.
Travis grew up in the building business. He worked in the company all through high school, doing everything from job site cleanup to pounding nails with the framing crew. He also found time to earn his Eagle rank in the Boy Scouts of America. He hopes to take over the reins of the company one day, continuing the family-owned business into the second generation.
- Unlimited General Contracting License No. 54545
- Member of the National Association of Home Builders, NAHB
- Member of the American Custom Builders Council (ACBC)
- NAHB Certified Green Professionals
- Member American Institute of Building Design, AIBD
- Certified Professional Building Designer
- Member of the Wilmington-Cape Fear Home Builders Association (WCFHBA)
- Parade of Homes 2020 Energy Efficient Winner
- Parade of Homes – 2020 Gold Winner, Detached Home Over $800,000
- WWAY This is the Place Viewers Choice Award – 2021 Best Home Builder
- WWAY This Is The Place Viewers Choice Award 2019 – Best Kitchen & Bath Remodeler
- WWAY This is The Place Viewers Choice Award 2019 – Best Home Builder
- 2005 American Institute of Building Design (AIBD) Honor Award of Excellence for Custom Luxury Homes category 4001 – 5000 sq.ft.
- 2005 American Institute of Building Design (AIBD) Honor Award of Excellence for Custom Luxury Homes category 5001 – 6500 sq.ft.
- Featured in Better Homes and Gardens
- North Carolina Home Builders Association STARS Award – Best Single Family Detached Home, price over $1 Million
- North Carolina Home Builders Association STARS Award – Best Energy Efficient Single Family Project
- WWAY This Is The Place Viewers Choice Award 2020 Best Home Builder
- Best of Wilmington Magazine 2021 – Contractor & Homebuilder
- Best of Wilmington Magazine 2020 – Contractor & Homebuilder
- Best of Wilmington Magazine 2019 – Contractor & Homebuilder
- Best of Wilmington Magazine 2018 – Contractor & Homebuilder
- Best of Wilmington Magazine 2017 – Contractor & Homebuilder
- Best of Wilmington Magazine 2016 – Contractor & Homebuilder
- Best of Wilmington Magazine 2015 – Contractor & Homebuilder
- Best of Wilmington Magazine 2014 – Contractor & Homebuilder
- Best of Houzz Service Award 2018
- Best of Houzz Service Award 2017
- Best of Houzz Design Award 2015
The American Custom Builders Council (ACBC) is a prestigious network of highly skilled, successful custom home builders from across the country who are collaborating, sharing ideas, seeking growth and improving business acumen year after year. Membership is given by invitation only. This long-standing group has been meeting for over 20 years, having developed an established agenda that includes fiscal review and development, industry best practices, home tours, leading industry speakers on a wide range of topics and so much more. Collaboration throughout the year is ongoing as members share strategies, seek advice and contribute wisdom gained from experience. As peer-to-peer networking members from non-competing markets reviewing an unparalleled educational experience, each member is driven to be the best and lead the way in their respective regions, enabling them to bring the greatest value possible to their clients and their teams. Growth is operations, improved profitability, enhanced client relations and a heightened sense of teamwork are only some of the outcomes of participation in programs such as the ACBC.